Coconut Curry Soup
Warm up with this rich and creamy soup on a warm winter night! This contains just the right amount of heat with healthy fats from the coconut milk to cool it down. Great one to make a big batch and take for lunch during the week.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped or one small white onion will work
- 3 cups orange root vegetables carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock chicken stock will work fine too, you'll need enough to cover carrots
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated fine
- 1 1/2 -2 tbsp curry paste I like paste because it works better with soup, if you only have powder use 1 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes if you like heat, otherwise you can leave out
- 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Chop onions and carrots.
- In a tall saucepan heat coconut oil until melted and add onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until onions turn translucent.
- Add carrots, curry paste, ginger and vegetable stock to pot. Stir to combine and break up curry paste. Bring to a boil and then let simmer 10-15 or until you can stick a knife through the carrots.
- Take pot off of heat and place on a hot pad. With an immersion blender pulse until smooth or desired consistency. If you don't have an immersion blender wait until the soup is cool before putting in a blender.
- Once blended add in coconut milk and simmer until its combined. Taste and re-season with more curry, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes depending on what it needs.
- Top with cilantro and red pepper flakes, you could add avocado, lime juice or leave as is. Enjoy!!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!