Savory Bone Broth
When the weather turns I constantly have to have something warm in my hands to sip on…after coffee runs out its THIS! This tasty sipper sprinkled with pink Himalayan sea salt not only is extremely rich in protein it's also a source of good minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus), supports skin health & digestion health
- 4 lbs beef bones best from local / grass fed cows with marrow
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 whole carrots chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic smashed / minced
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns or black ground pepper works!
- 15-20 cups filtered water fill pot / crockpot almost to top
Optional: Fresh Herbs to add
- bay leaves
- Optional: but recommended (especially using 1st time bones with lots of fat) Preheat oven 450. Line baking sheet with foil and place bones in oven for 30-40 minutes flipping half way
- Once bones are out of oven place in a large stockpot or crockpot & fill with water and apple cider vinegar. Allow this to sit for up to an hour at room temperature.
- Add in vegetables, Salt, Pepper & Garlic. Bring water to a boil, then reduce to simmer (low setting on crockpot). Let this simmer for 24-72 hours. I usually go for 48. Skim fat off the top first 2hrs.
- Last hour add in fresh herbs. Then turn off and allow to cool before you strain it.
- Transfer to an air tight container and place in the refrigerator to cool overnight. Scrap off fat from top - should be gelatinous when cold!
- Store in air-tight container in fridge (use within 7 days) or freeze for up to 6 months using it when you feel a cold coming on or in soups and stews throughout the fall /winter!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!