Love how cheap and simple this recipe is! Especially with the early spring broccoli it makes for the perfect rainy day warm up providing you with the comfort of the conventional soup without the added dairy and heavy cream. I think you’ll love how you feel full and energized after eating this soup!
Broccoli 'no cheese' soup
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 4 stalks organic celery chopped
- 3-4 medium organic carrots chopped
- 1 tsp Sea salt or to taste
- 1 lbs broccoli can use frozen broccoli if it's not in season
- 1 medium organic sweet potato or Yukon potato chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup organic raw cashews
- 2 whole garlic cloves minced or grated
- 4 cups vegetable / chicken broth or stock homemade is ideal for flavor!
- 1/3-1/2 cup nutritional yeast start with 1/3 and add in more to taste
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 lemon juice squeezed
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika or to taste
- 1 lb broccoli to make it chunky in the soup.
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat. Once it's hot add in chopped onion, celery and carrots. Add in olive oil or avocado oil and salt. Cover pot and stir for 3-4 minutes to get vegetables sweating.
- Add in chopped potato, 1 lb of the broccoli, stock or broth, garlic, raw cashews. Bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes and vegetables are cooked through.
- Turn off heat and let cool before blending the mixture in a high speed blender. Add in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, pepper and paprika. Mix together in the pot and then with an immersion blender or high speed blender blend until smooth.
- Place the smooth mixture back into the pot. Take the last 1 lb of broccoli and pulse in the blender just to give it a rough chop and add to the soup to give it texture! Taste the soup and adjust seasonings per your taste. I like to add red pepper flakes!