There is nothing like a full on umami soup sipper and THIS recipe ya’ll is so good you’re going to slurp every last drop into your mouth! This broth was made from a whole chicken we roasted and used the leftover breast to chop up and put in the soup! You can use store bought but I’ve linked my bone broth recipe below in the comments – just sub beef bones for whole chicken bones and wow it was so good!
Wild rice & Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter I like Kerry gold butter here
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped I like it in rounds
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped - I like portobello for deep flavor
- 2 cups cooked organic chicken shredded - leftover from a whole chicken is easiest
- 2 cups cooked wild rice I like to do this in the insta pot the day before
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth/ store bought I used the broth from the whole chicken bones for this and it was incredible!
- 1 tsp sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp of ground
- 1-2 cups spring greens chopped in ribbons. I used Swiss chard but you could use spinach or kale
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat. Add butter and onions and let them get nice and translucent 3-4 mins. Add in your carrots and celery and mushrooms and cook an additional 10 minutes - until tender. I like to add a cup of broth here to help them soften!
- Add in your shredded chicken, wild rice and the rest of the broth. Let it come to a simmer add in salt, pepper, thyme and any other flavors you'd like.
- I always have leftover spring greens this time of year so I love to add spinach, or Swiss chard ribbons once I take this off the heat. Adds extra color and nutrients!
- I find if you make the broth yourself the day/ night before it really can make this soup come alive!