I jumped on the the baked feta wagon during this freezing cold icy week and it did not disappoint! Definitely going to keep this in our quick dinners rotation.
Next Level Baked Feta
When you don't have time for anything fancy but you've got feta - and noddles / or crusty bread! This is truly comfort food and makes a nice big warm batch for the whole family. Please feel free to modify depending on what you have on hand!
- 7 oz block of organic feta best to use sheep & goat's milk I've read to eliminate gritty texture
- 28 oz fresh or canned tomatoes I used canned whole tomatoes and it worked great!
- 6 oz olives I used black olives from a can
- 1-2 cups chopped organic spinach
- 12-16 oz chopped organic mushrooms we had portobellos - made it more meaty
- 1/2 whole white onion chopped
- 3 whole cloves of garlic minced
- 2 whole sardines finely chopped optional for added salty/ umami flavor - could sub capers in place of sardines (1-2 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup pesto optional to dollop after it bakes for added flavor
- 12 oz pasta or could just use crusty bread to dip if you don't have pasta
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic until the mushrooms are browned. You can use 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable broth. Turn off heat and add in chopped spinach so it wilts.
- If you are going to use noodles - bring a pot of water to a boil and add a generous pinch of salt. Cook pasta al dente and then drain and set aside.
- To a 9x13 Baking dish place your tomatoes, sautéed vegetables, stir in your sardines or capers, olive oil and place your feta in the center uncovered. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until sauce is bubbling.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the pan for 4-6 minutes until the feta gets a little browned on the top. Take it out and serve with crusty bread as is. Or you can mix the feta into the sauce making it creamy and add your noodles.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!