Chicken curry with veggies and 'cali fried rice'
This is something I make towards the end of the week and basically just throw in all my leftover veggies to use them up. Get creative with the veggies you have on hand and if you would rather use tofu instead of chicken please do!
- 2-3 organic chicken breasts chopped into pieces and cooked (could use any protein here)
- 1 Cauliflower riced: grated against a cheese grater ora food processor
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk full fat
- 2 tbsp madras curry powder you can find it in a grocery store or Indian food store.
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups sugar snap peas or green beans
- 4 carrots chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil divided in two
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes more if you like it spicy!
- Start by ricing your cauliflower so you can start that while you chop everything else. (You can do this ahead of time and store in fridge)
- Add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil to a large sauce pan and add in riced cauliflower – cover and let simmer while you chop veggies / protein. Open up your coconut milk and add a scoop of the coconut fat at the top of the can to the ‘rice’ for flavor. I also like to add a splash of coconut aminos / soy sauce for flavor.
- In a separate pan sauté your protein and cook through – season with salt and set aside. (You can do this ahead of time too and store in fridge)
- Keep a cover on your ‘rice’ but stir every couple of minutes so it doesn’t burn, if it does I find that does give it a little extra flavor. Once it is cooked through you can keep cover on and turn heat off.
- In same pan as you just cooked your protein add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and throw in veggies. Sauté them for a 5-8 mins or until they start to loose some moisture.
- Add meat to veggies along with whole can of coconut milk, curry powder & spices, salt and bring to a simmer for 10 mins or until veggies are cooked to the consistency you would like them.
- Serve curry over your rice and enjoy! If you want it more spicy you can always add red pepper flakes but taste it first!
You can easily rice your cauliflower and cook your chicken or protein ahead of time to save you some time. I love to use shrimp in this too! The easiest way to rice the cauliflower is to put through a grater device in the food processor.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!