Mediterranean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
You could easily make these into Mexican / Middle Eastern. You can get creative with whatever you have on hand. Just make sure to pair with some protein (lean meat/ beans) and a flavorful sauce! This version which I love is from one of my favorite food bloggers minimalistbaker.com
- 4 sweet potatoes medium size
- 1 15 oz can Chick Peas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
Garlic Herb Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- water to thin
- sea salt optional
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- chili garlic sauce found in ethnic food isle (optional for extra spice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min - 1 hour).
- Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- NOTE: If you don’t have tahini you can use hummus
- Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown - roughly 25 minutes - remove from oven.
- For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.
You can save yourself some time by cooking the sweet potatoes ahead of time and then just re-heat when you are ready to use. (If you are doing the 3rd 10 days to better health you may already have Tahini on hand from your falafels less to buy)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!