This may be a little labor intensive but it’s totally worth it for your next picnic! Or dare I say group get together. The flavor combination is so good and the textures make this dish delightful to eat – I hope you enjoy!
Not what you think - Lemon Lentil Kale Salad
This may be a little labor intensive but it's totally worth it for your next picnic! Or dare I say group get together. The flavor combination is so good and the textures make this dish delightful to eat - I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup dry lentils cook ahead of time al dente - I like the small green ones or black beluga ones for this salad
- 1-2 bunches dino kale de-stemmed and chopped; 6-8 cups
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 1 whole white onion chopped, could use 3-4 green onions
- 4 whole garlic cloves chopped or sliced thin
- 1 whole lemon washed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tsp whole cumin seeds okay to use ground but the flavor is better whole
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded, could sub nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup artichokes optional - halved and quartered
- Start by cooking your lentils - if you haven't already. Prepare a large pot on high heat. Once boiling add a bit of salt (tastes like the sea) and dro in your lentils. Depending on which you are using read the label and go 5 minutes less in time so they are al- dente (like the pasta!) I like the smaller lentils for this so they don't get mush. Taste them along the way. The ones I've used in my picture I only cooked for 5 minutes because I pre-soaked them for an hour. They had a little crunch but cooked through.
- Drain lentils as soon as they are to your liking and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add in your olive oil, onions and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash and peel the lemon into 3 or 4 long wide rinds. Add those to the onions.
- Add in your garlic and stir not to burn. Once the lemon rind starts to curl and you can smell the garlic add in your chopped hazelnuts. Stir until garlic is lightly browned and nuts are toasted 3-5 minutes.
- Take off heat and add in your salt, and whole cumin seeds stir them into the oil they will become fragrant. Let it cool then strain the mixture over a mesh colander if you have it and lay the onion nut mixture on a paper towel to cool and crisp up. You're olive oil will be the base for your dressing.
- Wash, de-stem and chop up your kale. Place in a big bowl and with a sprinkle of sea salt and a squeeze of half of your lemon massage it until it turns bright green and tender.
- In the infused olive oil bowl juice the rest of the lemon and the honey and whisk together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add your lentils and 1/2 of your onion and nut mixture to the kale and toss with your dressing.
- Serve in a bowl and top with the rest of your nut mixture, artichokes and parmesan cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!