A simple and cheap dish that you can make in no time with just a little pre-prep! Hard Squashes hold up great in your pantry and can easily be roasted ahead of time. The flavors are delicious together with so many variations!
White Bean & Kale Spaghetti Squash Boats
A simple and cheap dish that you can make in no time with just a little pre-prep! Hard Squashes and garlic hold up great in your pantry and can easily be roasted ahead of time. The flavors are delicious together with so many variations!
- 1 large spaghetti squash cut hamburger wise scoop out seeds
- 1 whole head roasted garlic to prepare - slice off 1/2 in and drizzle olive oil, cover in tin foil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce
- 1 15 oz can white beans or cannellini beans rinsed and drained, option to sub a ground meat here too
- 1 large bunch organic dino kale 5cups; de-stemmed and rough chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or fresh 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or fresh 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or fresh 1 tbsp
- 1 cup shredded cheese optional parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional for added heat
Squash & Garlic
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare Spaghetti Squash - cut in half short / hamburger wise. Scoop out seeds and place skin side up in a baking pan with 1 inch of filtered water.
- Prepare the roasted garlic - cut 1/2 inch off the top of the bulb drizzle with a tsp of olive oil and wrap in tin foil. You can put this in with the squash on a separate rack.
- Put both the squash and the garlic in the oven for 35-45 minutes (depends on oven). Check the squash - if you can put a fork in it and peel spaghetti away easily it is done. Remove and let it cool on a wire rack skin side up. Option to store both the squash and garlic in the refrigerator once completely cooled until you are ready to make the dish.
- In a large saucepan bring 1 tbsp olive oil or 1/3 cup broth over medium heat. Add onion and roasted garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes, marinara sauce, rinsed beans, thyme, oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in chopped kale until it's fully wilted and incorporated.
- Serve! In a bowl place spaghetti squash and top with sauce - sprinkle with your choice of cheese, red pepper flakes and enjoy!
Option to serve with some fresh Sourdough or Bread
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!