Creamy Cashew Pesto
Talk about NEXT Level Pesto! Might be a couple of extra steps to this one but they are worth it! Besides just spooning this into my mouth I put this on everything! A great addition as we get into Spring and all of the fresh Basil & Spinach!
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cashew cream see below for recipe
- 2 tbsp nut cheese see below for recipe
- 1/2 cup raw cashews SAVE water! Pour boiling water over to soften and let sit 5 mins
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt or use 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cashew soaked water I just strain them over a cup to save
Brazil Nut Cheese (or any nut cheese will work!)
- 1/4 cup brazil nuts can use walnuts or cashews but I love the extra health benefits of brazil nuts here!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- Pulse Brazil nuts, nutritional yeast and sea salt until grainy texture in a food processor.
- Feel free to double this to have on hand to sprinkle on salads, or just to spoon into your mouth, it's SO good!
- Pour boiling water over them and let sit 5 minutes)
- Drain over a cup to collect the cashew water (just 1/2 cup).
- In a high speed blender blend drained and rinsed cashews, 1/2 cup of water, garlic salt until it forms a thick sauce. Taste and season accordingly. I like mine a little more salty!
- In food processor chop up basil and spinach first, just give it a rough chop.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until combined and texture you like. It will be more 'saucy' than most pestos but will thicken up as it sits.
- Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
I love this on zoodles, pasta, sourdough, as a salad dressing let me know what you use it on!!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!