Creamy Lentil Soup
Meatless Monday never tasted so good and cheap! This soup has become a staple in our house ever since it's creation and everyone who makes it loves it just as much as me so I decided you needed it too!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 28 oz can can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable broth I like 1 1/2 for a thicker soup
- 1 cup lentils I like sprouted lentils or red lentils - cook faster
- 1 can organic coconut milk can use light for less fat content
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder can use regular chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger grated - optional or 1/2 tsp ground
- 3-4 cups curly leaf kale optional - chopped
- Set a large stock pot over medium heat - add in 1 tbsp olive oil and chopped onion let cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add to pot garlic, chopped carrots, celery and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and lentils and spices stir to combine for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes depends on how done you like your lentils I like mine a little chewy so I stick to 5 minutes.
- Stir in your coconut milk and taste to see if you need more salt/ spices. Let simmer for another 3-5 minutes until lentils are cooked to your liking then turn off heat - if adding kale stir in now.
- Serve with hot pepper flakes, avocado or just as is! Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!