Hearty Bean & Ground Turkey Chili
The perfect way to warm up on a cold winter night! Its so simple to make and makes a big batch to store in fridge or freezer for leftovers!
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 onion chopped or minced depending on preference
- 4 whole carrots organic & chopped
- 2 whole zucchini chopped
- 1 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can organic dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce optional for smoky flavor (don't use during Sugar Detox) sugar in BBQ sauce.
- pickled jalapeños optional for garnish
- 1 avocado optional for garnish
- Heat large Saucepan over medium heat. Brown ground turkey.
- While ground turkey is browning, wash and chop onion, carrots and zucchini.
- Measure out spices and mix together to form your 'chili seasoning' (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, onion & garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- Season ground meat with spice mixture and add in vegetables, sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Make sure your saucepan is large enough then add in can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add in chick peas and dark red kidney beans and stir. If you are adding in BBQ sauce add now. Allow chili to simmer for 30-40 minutes or if you have the time you can put in the crock pot on low for 2-3 hrs.
- Garnish with pickled jalepenos and slices of avocado! You may even swirl a dollop of good quality olive oil on top for extra fat! YUM
I used a crock pot to finish this off because it was such a big batch! You can easily use any vegetables you have on hand. This is a very hearty chili and you could easily make this vegetarian by eliminating the ground turkey.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!